I did not, in fact, post a meat-filled sandwich on my very vegan blog. This is actually a tiny dessert!
Did you fall for it?? I must say, it was very difficult for me to pull off. Not the actual creation of the “sandwich”–that part went surprisingly well! Oh, no– it was the secret-keeping part that I struggled to handle! The moment I posted that picture, I went into instant panic, excitement, and anticipation:
I feel so rebellious! I’ve never lied on my social media before…
Wow, people believe it. This is exciting.
Ah, geez, I hope no one unfollows me for posting this picture on a vegan Instagram…Maybe I should just take it down.
How will I sleep tonight knowing I’m so close to doing the big reveal??
Yes, I’m ridiculous. Then again, it doesn’t take much to excite me when I’m spending every day in my apartment! I realize that this recipe isn’t exactly on track with my recent “quarantine-friendly” posts, but I hope that it gives you a bit of entertainment, especially those who need it most right now! Looking forward to everyone’s reaction to this and also to the abundance of pranks that will certainly result from everyone’s down time 🙂
He will yet fill your mouth with laughter
and your lips with shouts of joy.
April Fool’s Primanti Bros. Sandwich (V)
STRAWBERRY FRUIT LEATHER “MEAT”
- sweetener (if needed; I used liquid Stevia)
- Preheat oven to 140-150°F.
- Puree strawberries and sweetener until smooth.
- Spread onto a plastic or parchment-lined baking tray.
- Bake until desired texture is reached, 6-8 hours.
MINI LOAF CAKE “BREAD”
**Makes 4 mini loaves**
- 1/2 cup plus 1 TBSP vegan butter
- 1/4 cup plus 1 TBSP sugar (vegan if desired)
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup “buttermilk” (1 tsp vinegar mixed with enough room temperature almond milk to make 1/2 cup; left to sit at least five minutes)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease and flour four mini loaf tins.
- Cream butter and sugar with paddle attachment of a stand mixer on medium speed.
- Mix in corn syrup and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Begin adding the flour mixture and the “buttermilk” to the butter mixture, alternating between each and mixing after each addition until everything is incorporated.
- Divide batter between the four pans, and bake until very light golden brown on the outside, about 50-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing. If you plan to make the trick sandwich, it’s helpful to freeze the loaves first! Makes for easier cutting, and the cake softens (it will develop a crust when it first cools after baking).
FRIED BANANA “FRIES”
- maple syrup
- vegan butter
- Slice the banana thinly.
- Melt a spoonful of oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add a spoonful of maple syrup.
- Remove pan from heat, and place banana slices in pan.
- When they’ve caramelized slightly, flip them.
- When the other side has cooked, remove from heat.
- Slice into thin “fries.” (If you do this, they will be rather difficult to work with, but patience is a virtue :D)
APPLE SLICE “CHEESE and TOMATOES”
I think you can figure out that one 🙂
SWEETENED COCONUT FLAKES “COLESLAW”